Mobile iOS

emaz

29 Jan, 2017 07:41 PM

On both Safari and Chrome I frequently get this. And the view desktop link does the same thing.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Jan, 2017 07:32 PM

Hi --

I'm thinking you might not have been in the other Help Desk threads when we discussed the workaround.
    We suggest using the https://m.dailykos.com route to the site. That seems to address the problem (likely related to mixed content).
    If that's not enough, please let us know. Thanks for asking.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2017 07:32 PM.

3. emaz re-opened this discussion on 30 Jan, 2017 07:52 PM

4. 2 Posted by emaz on 30 Jan, 2017 07:52 PM

That is the link that I use.

And now, whatever has been changed, that page just reload over and over in a loop.

Sent from my iPhone

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 30 Jan, 2017 08:34 PM

Ooops. OK. We'll investigate. Thanks, and sorry.

6. 4 Posted by emaz on 26 Feb, 2017 10:48 PM

Guys... I say this because I love you. Been a reader since the year #1, But you REALLY gotta fix your mobile issues.

Ever since mobile Safari broke (it just reloads in a loop) I went and got Google Chrome for my iPhone JUST for Dkos so I could see you mobile. I literally don't use it for a single other site. That's been working for a month and it worked even earlier today. Now when I load the page, it doesn't loop like mobile Safari does but the page is blank, except for the mobile nav bar at the top.

I happen to own a company that does 100% of its business online and these days, NOBODY can survive without the mobile market. But right now your site is not available for me mobile on either Safari or Chrome.

I have no idea how big the Dkos staff is but I would imagine you have someone there that can fix this. I'm really amazed it hasn't been a priority. I wish the best for you guys and I hope to see you back up soon on mobile.

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Mar, 2017 11:14 PM

Thanks, emaz. I do recognize that your concern is sincere.

Not having heard a follow-up from you for a while, I'm hoping that means no news is good news. But obviously that's not the only option here, so I wanted to double-check with you to see what's up lately. You're commenting, so you're making something work.

Since you do so much professional work online and on your mobile as well, then you might offer a good test case. And yet, it's also possible that your setup is anomalous somehow. The site (mobile or desktop) simply does not play well with most browser extensions. Are you running a basic browser on your iPhone or do either of them have something extra?

We'll keep digging if need be.

8. 6 Posted by emaz on 17 Mar, 2017 11:16 PM

It still happens now and then on iOS both Chrome and Safari with NO extensions.

9. 7 Posted by emaz on 17 Mar, 2017 11:18 PM

Just checked… iOS still loops.

Chrome is fine, for now.

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Mar, 2017 11:25 PM

Intermittent problems are the worst -- for you and for us.
    I appreciate the update and the clarification.
    More questions likely next week. What iOS are you using again? Sorry, I'm not seeing it in this thread.

11. 9 Posted by emaz on 17 Mar, 2017 11:35 PM

But this weird iOS loop has been there a while. I’ll try a different iOS phone for you later.

When Chrome doesn’t work it appears to be a missing CSS file — the text is there but no images, (might be broken kinks, I don’t recall).

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 Mar, 2017 11:58 PM

OK cool. Appreciate your help with diagnostics.

13. 11 Posted by emaz on 18 Mar, 2017 05:03 PM

Here's what it looks like today on Chrome and iOS 10.2

It's important to note, this is new. It didn't look this way last night.

I tell you this as a friend, a member of the community, and somebody with a great deal of experience in online businesses. If this problem is only limited to iOS 10.2, I wouldn't worry about it. I will update my iOS today and let you know. If these issues persist, I think you guys should be very concerned. I'm sure you know how huge the mobile market is, you just can't afford to lose a significant portion of your readership. And most people would be frustrated enough to just stop coming... whereas I go the extra mile to get a different browser, or just look on desktop when I have to.

I'm not sure what software tools you guys are using, but I am surprised that the mobile version keeps changing. Problems pop up and then go away, and then new ones appear later. That's definitely not the norm in web development. The site should just be coded responsively. One code base that handles desktop and mobile.

I hope this feedback helps. I will update iOS… I have avoided it because I'm also an app developer, and I needed version 10.2 until now. But now I can update and I'll let you know. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

14. 12 Posted by emaz on 18 Mar, 2017 05:09 PM

Uh oh.

Sorry, I thought there was an iOS update available. Nope, I’m on 10.2.1, the latest iOS.

And right now I can’t get the site mobile at all …

Safari reloads over and over in a loop.

Chrome has the logo and nav bar at the top but otherwise a totally blank page.

There is STILL a chance it’s an anomaly with only my phone. To test that scenario, you should find someone with iOS 10.2.1 and see if they have the same issues. If not, great, don’t worry about me. But if they have issues, well… that would not be good.

Good luck!

> On Mar 18, 2017, at 10:02 AM, [email blocked] wrote:
    >
    > Here's what it looks like today on Chrome and iOS 10.2
    >
    > <image1.png>
    >
    > It's important to note, this is new. It didn't look this way last night.
    >
    > I tell you this as a friend, a member of the community, and somebody with a great deal of experience in online businesses. If this problem is only limited to iOS 10.2, I wouldn't worry about it. I will update my iOS today and let you know. If these issues persist, I think you guys should be very concerned. I'm sure you know how huge the mobile market is, you just can't afford to lose a significant portion of your readership. And most people would be frustrated enough to just stop coming... whereas I go the extra mile to get a different browser, or just look on desktop when I have to.
    >
    > I'm not sure what software tools you guys are using, but I am surprised that the mobile version keeps changing. Problems pop up and then go away, and then new ones appear later. That's definitely not the norm in web development. The site should just be coded responsively. One code base that handles desktop and mobile.
    >
    > I hope this feedback helps. I will update iOS… I have avoided it because I'm also an app developer, and I needed version 10.2 until now. But now I can update and I'll let you know. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Sent from my iPhone
    >
    > On Mar 17, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:
    >
    >>

15. 13 Posted by emaz on 18 Mar, 2017 05:16 PM

Last but not least…

I did manage to capture a screen shot of errors on the looping Safari.

As I excepted, bad CSS. So it seems Safari tries to reload after encountering bad CSS, while Chrome just stops loading the page.

Something is killing your CSS. ALL the time for Safari, sometimes for Chrome.

It can’t just be a bad mobile ad. If that were the case, Safari would sometimes works. It never does. So I suspect something in your own code base. That would explain Safari never working.

As for Chrome, because it’a intermittent, perhaps one of the ads throws it off now and then.

> On Mar 18, 2017, at 10:09 AM, Earl Mincer <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > Uh oh.
    >
    > Sorry, I thought there was an iOS update available. Nope, I’m on 10.2.1, the latest iOS.
    >
    > And right now I can’t get the site mobile at all …
    >
    > Safari reloads over and over in a loop.
    >
    > Chrome has the logo and nav bar at the top but otherwise a totally blank page.
    >
    > There is STILL a chance it’s an anomaly with only my phone. To test that scenario, you should find someone with iOS 10.2.1 and see if they have the same issues. If not, great, don’t worry about me. But if they have issues, well… that would not be good.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    >
    >> On Mar 18, 2017, at 10:02 AM, [email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's what it looks like today on Chrome and iOS 10.2
    >>
    >> <image1.png>
    >>
    >> It's important to note, this is new. It didn't look this way last night.
    >>
    >> I tell you this as a friend, a member of the community, and somebody with a great deal of experience in online businesses. If this problem is only limited to iOS 10.2, I wouldn't worry about it. I will update my iOS today and let you know. If these issues persist, I think you guys should be very concerned. I'm sure you know how huge the mobile market is, you just can't afford to lose a significant portion of your readership. And most people would be frustrated enough to just stop coming... whereas I go the extra mile to get a different browser, or just look on desktop when I have to.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what software tools you guys are using, but I am surprised that the mobile version keeps changing. Problems pop up and then go away, and then new ones appear later. That's definitely not the norm in web development. The site should just be coded responsively. One code base that handles desktop and mobile.
    >>
    >> I hope this feedback helps. I will update iOS… I have avoided it because I'm also an app developer, and I needed version 10.2 until now. But now I can update and I'll let you know. Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Sent from my iPhone
    >>
    >> On Mar 17, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Daily Kos Staff <[email blocked] <mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:
    >>
    >>>

16. 14 Posted by Besame on 18 Mar, 2017 05:57 PM

I just saw this when I posted a totally separate issue and thought it might be helpful to note that I use iOS on iPhone with Safari and have no trouble with either mobile or desktop DK. Not sure if the phone/iOS version matters but it is 7+ and whatever is the newest iOs. I have no extensions running AFAIK.

17. 15 Posted by JayC on 18 Mar, 2017 09:43 PM

The non-secure URL (http://m.dailykos.com) looks normal on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1.
    On my iPhone 6s running iOS 10.2.1, the non-secure URL looks like the image posted by emaz in January. But if I point it to the secure URL (https://m.dailykos.com), it looks normal (with the usual CSS formatting).
    When m.dailykos.com looks like the image posted by emaz in January, if you scroll down to the content, it looks like the CSS is completely missing. You just see links with default browser colors and fonts.

18. 16 Posted by emaz on 18 Mar, 2017 10:22 PM

JayC is correct, great insight. Right now I can't get to Dkos on iOS 10.2.1 with Chrome unless I manually make the link https://m.dailykos.com.

For me on Safari it just reloads and loops, no matter what I do.

Sent from my iPhone

19. 17 Posted by BDA in VA on 18 Mar, 2017 11:46 PM

Thank you - I typed the secure "s" in the URL and it works!

20. 18 Posted by emaz on 18 Mar, 2017 11:59 PM

Chrome? iOS?

Sent from my iPhone

21. 19 Posted by BDA in VA on 19 Mar, 2017 03:09 AM

IOS - wasn't working with http but added the s and it works.

Sent from my iPhone

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• IMG_5360.PNG 135 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac