"End" key = LOAD MORE

Qveris

23 May, 2019 12:24 AM

Not important at all, but you do know that pressing the "End" key during comment loads results in repeated visits from the "LOAD MORE" failsafe, don't you?

Windows 10, current Chrome

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 03:20 PM

Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't know it myself so I'll check with the devs about it.

Just wondering, since it's also good to know what prompts people to use the site as they do, was there a specific motivation for you to click the End key? Some action you hoped to trigger? Or were you just checking things out? OK either way. It's truly interesting to see the variety of user interactions.

2. 2 Posted by Qveris on 23 May, 2019 08:32 PM

Yeah, the End key doesn't get enough love. (The Home key is also moderately neglected.)

On DKos, if there are 9,877 comments and I know I'm going to read/scan through a lot of them, I hit the End key to load everything. That way, when the footer appears I know everything is in and available to the browser, which means scrolling will be smooth, without annoying lurches or pauses or hiccups.

It's a handy tactic which I use on other sites as well, including many with pseudo-infinite incremental load pages. Hit End, and often, all the content gets loaded and I am spared any glitchy scrolling.

Also, for DKos comments, the default structure puts new "prime" comments (comments which are not replies) at the bottom. Often, when I'm following a story's comments, I am interested in jumping right to these new prime comments. So, I hit End, jump immediately to the bottom, scroll back up to the last comment I remember reading (or wherever), and I'm where I want to be.

It's quick and handy. As it stands, using the DKos comments beta, the load process stops when I hit End and your failsafe LOAD MORE button appears. If I hit End again, another chunk loads and then stops with a LOAD MORE, and so on. It's a little inelegant if all I'm trying to do is reach the end of the page.

Also, I use a free-spinning (momentum scrolling) mouse wheel. Flick it and it spins like a frenzied flywheel. I love these things. Scrolling becomes performance art. I'm sure you're familiar with them, but just in case you're not:

https://theinventory.com/an-ode-to-logitechs-momentum-scroll-wheels-1830415252

I mention the wheel because right now your comments code does indeed work, but it ignores smooth scrolling in Chrome, and when one flicks the spinning wheel the result is a staccato scroll instead of smoothly continuous scroll; visually, it looks sort of like what happens if you try to play a high-frame-rate video game with an under-powered computer.

3. 3 Posted by Qveris on 23 May, 2019 08:46 PM

Oh, and really, this stuff doesn't need to be fixed this year. :)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 23 May, 2019 09:19 PM

LOL. Thanks. I appreciate the detail. (No snark.)
    Now, because not all keyboards HAVE home and end keys, we enabled 1 and 2 keys to serve the same purpose. So, if there is a change made, I would guess that it will be to figure out how to deactivate the LOAD MORE from being triggered by the End key. But IANAD(eveloper) so I could be way off.
    We'll see about the scrolling. Some fine-tuning appears to be needed there, regardless. Always interesting~!

5. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 23 May, 2019 09:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac