Re: Trying to Publish Daily Kos Diary

pipsorcle

15 May, 2019 05:37 PM

Hi Technical Support Team,

I'm looking to publish an important article pertinent to the community of Kossacks on Daily Kos today but I'm finding that there are so many technical glitches as follows:

-Groups such as California Politics and Knowledge Democrats can't be selected.
-When I hit "Publish," nothing happens.

Please advise on how this should be fixed. This is unusual and a rather inconvenience.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 May, 2019 03:07 AM

Hi pipsorcle.
    Sorry for the difficulties you're encountering. Let's see what we can do to get this resolved.
    I need to know where the process is failing for you, and how you know it has failed. So let me ask you to retrace your steps and report what's going awry.
    But I will say that attempting to follow the usual sequence myself does reinforce that there is something amiss. When I look at the Add a publish group pulldown, I do see the list of groups available to my user. But then the group name disappears almost immediately. If I do manage to catch the group name and click it, the story still does not appear in the group queue.
    Oh. I realized my error, and I suspect the same is probably happening for you.
    Please double-check that you have at least one well-formed tag on your story. It is impossible to publish a story and even to queue it anywhere without a tag.
    Ooops!

2. 2 Posted by pipsorcle on 16 May, 2019 02:39 PM

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it.

I have tried multiple times to add tags to my story but unfortunately, nothing is working. I even try saving my diary and publishing it but no dice.

Anything you advise?

3. 3 Posted by pipsorcle on 16 May, 2019 02:41 PM

FYI, just as a follow-up:

This is the diary I'm looking to publish on Daily Kos

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/1857538/edit

I'm keeping it open for you to review as time allows you to do so. Let me know if you have any feedback or if there's anything I need to add or remove from the diary.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 16 May, 2019 02:52 PM

Right now, the link that you send shows a draft that includes ONLY a poll.
    Posts are considered incomplete and will not be queued or published without 1) a title; 2) some body text, even if it is only one word; AND 3) at least one tag.

5. 5 Posted by txdoubledd on 16 May, 2019 03:37 PM

I don't know if it is appropriate for me to join in this discussion but I am also having trouble posting a diary. At first it was my browser was not communicating properly or something like that so I deleted the diary and recreated it. Now it goes to timeout?

I have checked title and tags and I believe they are both fine?

6. 6 Posted by pipsorcle on 16 May, 2019 11:15 PM

That's the thing: I already have all of what you mentioned as follows:

-Title
    -Body text (plenty of it)
    -Attempted tag

Problem is, I cannot save anything. Can you please fix this ASAP?

7. 7 Posted by pipsorcle on 16 May, 2019 11:17 PM

To add: I'm really not sure why I continue to have these problems. I used to be a prolific diarist on Daily Kos some time ago and never ran into any of these problems. You guys really should be on this better.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 May, 2019 02:40 PM

Sorry, pipsorcle.

The usual troubleshooting route, when people are encountering blocks of this sort and no one else appears to have similar problems, is to make sure that you have a clear and compatible platform on your own computer.

To get to that point, please clear your cache and cookies for the site, then close and reopen your browser. If that doesn't suffice, then see what happens if you access the site via a private window in your browser. Doing that eliminates most conflicts that arise from incompatible add-ons or extensions. There are many possible extensions people can utilize, and we cannot code with an eye to them.

If you try those routes and you still don't have success, then please return.

9. 9 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 03:18 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll clear out the cache and cookies then and reopen my browser. Will keep you posted.

10. 10 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 03:35 PM

Hello,

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems publishing even after I cleared out the cache, cookies and even restarted my computer and web browser.

How long is this going to take?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 May, 2019 04:08 PM

Hi there.
    Have you tried the other option, namely abandoning this draft entirely and starting a new window?
    You were just able to publish a post, after all, so it's not completely impossible for you to do. If that doesn't work, then the next step is to investigate what components are in this draft, specifically the body of the text, that somehow interfere with posting.
    There is a hint from a couple of other sources that FB embeds are not working as they should. Do you have one of those in your story?

12. 12 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 04:45 PM

I've tried multiple times to have a new diary. The components in the draft have already been formatted multiple times and I've edited accordingly.

To save time, would it be possibly to pass my story on to one of the Daily Kos staff members so he/she can publish it on my behalf? I don't want to spend hours doing this as I have my own non-political business to launch but already I'm spending lots of my energy and time sending emails back and forth with technical support.

Let me know who on DK I can forward my information to.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 17 May, 2019 06:35 PM

Sorry, we can't ask someone else to post it on your behalf.

If you're able to post another story entirely; if you're able to start a new draft window with this content, but still have it fail to post; if you are sure that all your tags for this post are well-formed--then it is quite likely that there is some content within the body of your draft that prevents publication.

It is true that only certain embeds are whitelisted, and it is true that some of our error messages are not very informative.

I have one other idea to suggest, if you want to improve the chances that we can figure out what's going on. We cannot address something we cannot replicate and document ourselves; we need a track of the code that shows exactly where the block is. But you may be able to capture a HAR file and attach it to your query. Here is an explanation of how to get that record yourself, if and when you have the time to do so. Instructions for doing this may be found here: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203118044-How-do-I...

The HD does permit sending attachments, though it is possible you will have to make a zip file of the HAR results to avoid the size limitation.

14. 14 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 09:09 PM

I will try to make my own diary shortly. In the meantime, what if I were to submit this story to an editor so he/she could publish? I'm not looking to take any credit for this. I just want my privacy and my soon-to-be-girlfriend's privacy intact so we can move on to San Francisco, go further in our relationship and get married eventually.

15. 15 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 09:20 PM

I just tried publishing but no dice. Goodness sake, I've been spending all day with this damn diary. How can we fix this so my life can move on?

16. 16 Posted by pipsorcle on 17 May, 2019 09:23 PM

AGAIN I cannot publish. UGH.

17. 17 Posted by pipsorcle on 20 May, 2019 08:23 PM

Hello,

Just an FYI, I went to the Daily Kos HQ in Oakland to submit my rough draft for my article and had Susan Gardner be notified about the article so everyone on the editorial team can be notified.

Consider this case closed.

18. Moderator1 closed this discussion on 20 May, 2019 10:11 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac