Got this error trying to send a PM

maynard

02 Mar, 2017 12:27 PM

The error was:
Can't call method "id" on an undefined value at /www/dk4-perl/current/lib/ScoopDK/Data/User.pm line 251.

Hostname: dkperl1

Time: 2017-03-02T12:25:10

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 02 Mar, 2017 03:53 PM

I'm sorry you're encountering this difficulty with sending a Kosmail. Unfortunately, it is a known problem with an unknown fix date. The problem arises from a mis-communication between the two main systems that underlie the site, and it will be a while longer until the rest of the transfer off of the old system is complete. Anything short of that can't address the issue.

In the meantime, though it is annoying, there are a few workarounds.
    First, if you are writing a long message, it's a good idea to have it saved somewhere else. Despite the suggestions I'll offer below, the draft messages still sometimes get dropped.

Second, do use the Preview function before you hit Send. That can help, though it's no guarantee.

Third, when you do get this error message, don't give up. Use the back arrow on your browser to see if your draft message is still there. Usually it will be, and you can repeat the Preview and Send process. Sometimes, unfortunately, you'll have to do this more than once. But please be persistent; eventually it should go through.

Hope all this helps!

Thanks for your patience and forbearance.

2. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2017 03:53 PM.

3. maynard re-opened this discussion on 03 Mar, 2017 04:49 AM

4. 2 Posted by maynard on 03 Mar, 2017 04:49 AM

Hey no problem. The error message directed me to open a trouble ticket, so I did.

About the only shock I noticed from it was to see dkos is still coded in perl, I guess leftovers from its scoop days.

Can someone convince Kos to rewrite in Python? Ya'll would be much happier. Or, at least, much saner. Tangled perl regex is enough to drive any normal coder to the looney-bin.

5. 3 Posted by maynard on 03 Mar, 2017 04:54 AM

Oh, close this ticket if you want. There's nothing to do here I guess.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Daily Kos Staff on 03 Mar, 2017 04:52 PM

Yes, you are quite right -- we're in the middle of a long process of refactoring now, and once that's done we'll be in better shape to complete the transition off of perl.
    There is no perfect language, but clearly some are better than others.
    Thanks for commenting.

7. Daily Kos Staff closed this discussion on 03 Mar, 2017 04:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac